We encourage retail food establishments and their employees to follow these best practices and refer to the CHECKLIST – Best Practices for Re-Opening Retail Food Establishments During the COVID-19 Pandemic for more details. Work closely with State and local regulatory/health authorities where the business is located to ensure all requirements are met.
BE HEALTHY, BE CLEAN
- Stay home, if sick
- Check for symptoms – like fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and consider conducting
health checks prior to starting work.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch Ready-To-Eat foods with bare hands.
- Wear cloth face coverings if personal protective equipment is not required if Personal Protective Equipment is not required. Check State or local guidelines.
CLEAN & DISINFECT
- Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces and common use areas more frequently, such as door knobs and handles, display cases, check-out counter, order kiosks, grocery cart handles, restrooms, and waiting areas. Clean and sanitize equipment like ice machines and ice bins.
- Prepare and use sanitizers and disinfectants according to label instructions.
- Avoid high-touch containers and items like ketchup bottles, utensils, salt/pepper
shakers, and reusable menus by using single service items, when possible.
- Restrict the number of workers, customers and visitors in sit-in dining areas, bars and in shared spaces like kitchens, break rooms, waiting areas, and offices to maintain at least a 6-foot distance between people.
- Increase spacing for customers and increase utensil disinfection and cleaning frequency at self-service stations/buffets.
- Minimize contact at check-out and pay stations. Mark 6-foot distances with floor tape and temporarily move workstations to create more distance, consider installing partitions, if feasible.
PICK-UP & DELIVERY
- Maintain food time and temperature controls.
- Initiate “no touch” deliveries and payments.
- ZONE Designate pick-up zones.
- Ensure premises are operational and in good working order.
- Clean, disinfect, and sanitize throughout the facility before re-opening.
- Monitor for pests.